How to Avoid Back and Neck Pain while Studying

Pain while studying is more common than you think.

Exam time is understandably stressful time for students. While there is often an emphasis on the importance of diet and exercise during this time, students should also be mindful of their posture to avoid pain while studying.How to Avoid Back and Neck Pain while Studying
While studying students spend a lot of time sitting at a desk or leaning over while writing or researching on the internet leading to poor posture while seated which is the most prevalent cause of back pain.

Preventing back pain is possible by becoming more aware of your posture.

Here are a few tips to avoid back and neck pain while studying for those important exams;

• Recognise when you are slouching and correct posture
• Your head should be in an upright position
• Get a comfortable supportive chair which will take pressure away from the lower back and make it easier to sit in front of your desk for prolonged periods
• Where possible, work on a PC rather than a laptop – the monitor should be an arm length away
• Every 30 – 40 minutes remember to take breaks. Go for a short walk, get fresh air and stretch
• Perform shoulder shrugs and rolls to reduce tension in the shoulder blade and neck muscles. We suggest to do these 3 simple stretches to counteract the sitting pose.

How to Avoid Back and Neck Pain While Studying

It’s important to take regular breaks from sitting to avoid pain while studying

When we’re stressed we tend to tighten up – hence why sometimes people will say they feel knots in the shoulders.

By planning ahead you can avoid getting too stressed out.

Write a plan of action for the next few weeks, plan breaks within your study time-table and make time for exercise and enjoyable things – be it a phone-call to a friend, watching your favourite programme or enjoying the glorious sun we are always promised during exam time.

Dr. Ben and all the team at Optimal Chiropractic Ballincollig in Cork would like to wish all those sitting exams the very best of luck and success.

We have a special offer in the office especially for students for an initial consultation for only €50 (normally costs €85) Refer to this post when you call Mary in our office for an appointment. (021 487 8465). Or email us here from this link. Please bring a student card to your appointment as form as ID.

The initial consultation includes full history, chiropractic examination and any necessary scans and report of findings.

Ben

About the author

Dr. Benjamin Martin is a Chiropractor and speaker on Health and Wellbeing. Ben is regularly called on to discuss health topics and chiropractic on radio, tv and press. His promise is to adjust and educate as many families as possible towards optimal health. His work changes lives and has restored people's quality of life.

, , , , , ,

14 Responses to How to Avoid Back and Neck Pain while Studying

1. Avatar
    Steven Snow 2nd March 2017 at 10:19 am #

I followed your tips and they have helped me a lot in reducing my neck pains.

• Ben
      Ben 6th April 2017 at 10:42 am #

That’s wonderful, delighted it helped you!

2. Avatar
    Scott 10th March 2017 at 7:51 pm #

I appreciate that you mention to take a break every 30-40 minutes. I can see why this would allow your muscles to stretch out and not become tight. I found it useful to have an alarm go off when I am working on a big project. If I don’t have that alarm, then I tend to forget to take those breaks and work for hours on end.

• Ben
      Ben 6th April 2017 at 10:46 am #

Yes Scott, definitely the alarm is a great idea. Another idea is to break it down into 25minute chunks, set the alarm, take a 5 minute break and then do another 25 minutes but on a different task/subject/project. Helps to stay sharp and productive.

3. Avatar
    Marina 14th March 2017 at 2:53 pm #

Thank you for the ways of avoiding back pain . I will keep them in mind while sitting to study the next time.

• Ben
      Ben 6th April 2017 at 10:47 am #

Hi Marina,
      thank you for letting me know that it helped. Best of luck with your study!

4. Avatar
    shiv 8th July 2017 at 8:59 am #

I have severe neck pain only after 15 minutesof studying. It become severe when i am writing anything. I am a physics student I have to write notes and solve numerical problems. How to manage this. Please help

• Ben
      Ben 27th July 2017 at 11:57 am #

I would definitely recommend that you get your back checked by a chiropractor as soon as possible. 15 minutes is a very short time for you to be sitting before the pain comes on. In the meantime, I would recommend you change position regularly while you are studying. Go from sitting to standing and maybe look to setup or invest in a standing desk that would reduce the amount of time you need to sit while you study.
      Ben.

5. Avatar
    Baz 4th September 2017 at 7:49 pm #

Hie Ben. I have neck pains that often lead to involuntary nodding and headaches while studying or taking exams. Sometimes it gets so bad I feel as though I’m functioning at half my original mental capacity. What would be your advice on such a case sir?

• Ben
      Ben 5th September 2017 at 1:53 pm #

Hi Baz,
      Neck pain and headaches are a very common occurrence especially with people who spend prolonged periods of time sitting at a desk. While studying, we have a tendency to hunch forwards which causes a large increase in pressure at the base of our neck and across our shoulders. I would suggest that you need to start becoming more aware of your posture while sitting and also take regular rest breaks. Every 45 minutes you should stand up, walk around and do a number of stretches to try to loosen out your neck. I would also highly recommend that you get your spine checked by a qualified chiropractor to see if there are any underlying issues that need to be resolved.
      Ben.

6. Avatar
    Rana Abdelnaby 6th August 2018 at 4:44 pm #

Really nice, helpful and easy to implement tips. Will definitely put them into account while studying!

• Ben
      Ben 16th August 2018 at 2:46 pm #

Glad it was helpful Rana – best of luck with your study!

7. Avatar
    Eman 15th August 2018 at 1:00 am #

I get neck and shoulder pain after only 15 minutes of studying and it get worse after awhile i m so stressed out right now what can i do to get rid of it? plz help me

• Ben
      Ben 16th August 2018 at 2:44 pm #

Hi Eman, make sure you reset your posture regularly so that you keep sitting up straight. Take regular breaks. Consider getting a massage or a full consultation with a chiropractor in your area.