Whether you like omelettes that are filled with lots of vegetables or omelettes that are more traditional, with just a few veggies and herbs for texture and flavour, omelettes are an ideal dish for breakfast, brunch, lunch or dinner. When prepared correctly, they are fluffy and soft, and with a few small changes to the ingredients – can be made really healthy. The recipe below for a tasty Sunny Frittata is a combination of eggs, cheddar cheese, and orange bell pepper and takes only 45mins to make.
• 2 cups egg substitute
• 1/2 cup fat-free milk
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
• Cooking spray
• 2/3 cup (4 ounces) diced ham
• 1/2 cup diced orange bell pepper
• 1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions
• 1/4 cup (1 ounce) reduced-fat shredded cheddar cheese
1. Preheat oven to 180°.
2. Combine first 4 ingredients in a small bowl, stirring well with a whisk.
3. Heat a medium non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add ham, bell pepper, and onions; sauté 2 minutes. Stir in egg mixture. Reduce heat to medium, and cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally for first 2 minutes. Top mixture with cheese. Wrap handle of pan with foil; bake at 375° for 12 minutes or until centre is set. Cut frittata into 4 wedges.