Sometimes we become so accustomed to the little daily frustrations and pressures we experience that we begin to regard them as normal and unfortunately the more we ignore these small stresses, the more they build up and it is ultimately our health that suffers.
The American Medical Association has recognised that stress is the cause of more than 60% of all human illnesses including headaches, dizziness, anxiety, anger or panic disorders, increased heart rates, stroke, heart disease, diabetes, digestive disorders, abdominal pain, irritable bowel syndrome, weight gain and obesity, muscle tension, immune system dysfunction, ulcers, nervousness and more.
You can’t always control the challenges that life throws your way, but you can take control of your well-being. Understanding the mechanics of stress puts you at an advantage where you can monitor your own stress levels and take appropriate proactive steps to combat it. Taking proper care of your body, soul and mind can keep you in good health. Below are some tips for reducing stress.
1. Get enough sleep – On average the human body needs eight hours of sleep a night. Lack of sleep will impair your ability to handle stress, concentrate and be productive.
2. Eat a nutritional balanced diet – Eating an unbalanced diet leaves you vulnerable to stress. No matter how hectic your schedule, always make time eat right and drink enough water.
3. Exercise regularly – Exercise is great for both your physical and mental health, it is a great way to reduce stress through the release of endorphins which improve your attitude and overall well-being.
4. Keep social – Keep in contact with friends who will cheer you up when you are feeling low and offer advice when you are confused. Surrounding yourself with the right people will keep you on the right track.
5. Take up a new hobby – Down time is always important and having a hobby will distract you from the stress and non-stop hustle and bustle of everyday life. Why not take up gardening, running or maybe art classes in your local area?
6. Maintain a positive attitude – Opting for a positive outlook will help reduce your stress levels and you are more likely to succeed at your endeavours if you believe you can!
7. Chiropractic Care – Chiropractic adjustments pursue the health and wellness of the entire organism by focusing on the nervous system. Residual benefits which occur from the pursuit of spinal health include a reduction in depression, anxiety, and fatigue.