Roughly 8 out of 10 people suffer from back pain at some point during their lives. Women, in particular, are prone to posture and back problems. Perhaps due to heavy handbags, high heels, going through pregnancy, or giving one-hip rides to kids.
But there are many steps you can take to avoid it. One of the best things you can do to prevent back pain is to exercise regularly and keep your back and abdominal muscles strong.Here are some quick pointers to prevent back problems:
• Always stretch before any strenuous physical activity
• Try not to slouch when standing or sitting
• Sit in chairs or car seats with good lumbar support
• Switch sitting positions often and periodically walk around or gently stretch muscles to relieve tension
• Don’t bend over without supporting your back
• Wear comfortable, low-heeled shoes
• Sleep on your side to reduce any curve in your spine, and always sleep on a firm surface
• Lift with your legs, keeping your back straight
• Try to control your weight
• Get regular exercise
• Reduce stress levels
• If you smoke, quit; smoking reduces blood flow to the lower spine and causes the spinal discs to degenerate
• Visit your chiropractor regularly
• Keep your spine strong, as with all bones, you need to get enough vitamin D every day.
Practically everyone experiences low back pain at some point in life. Some experience it more frequently than others. If you struggle with frequent episodes of low back pain, please give us a call at Optimal Chiropractic in Ballincollig and make an appointment to see Dr.Ben.